April 18, 2010

While I wait...

I never really thought reading blogs could be so interesting but I can see myself becoming increasingly addicted to checking the few that I follow. Especially now that I'm done with my Master's (and don't have to be productive while online any more) and I'm still pregnant, it helps pass the time and keep my mind off when labor might start. (Any day now!!!!)

I've been following a blog written by a mother/doula about childbirth, Bellies and Babies, that has provided some really interesting reading. I can't remember exactly how I found it but it's such an inspiring resource for all things related to giving birth naturally.

I'm also loving that one of Tim's high school friends, who recently had a baby, started a blog about her adventures in motherhood, Chronicles of Motherhood. Even though I'm (hopefully) only a few days away from my own set of adventures, it's reassuring to know that everyone has to figure out how to be a parent and some things don't come naturally.

Also, while I wait for baby to pick his/her birthday, I thought I'd make a list of all the things I'm looking forward to AFTER I'm no longer pregnant. So here we go:

1. To see my ankles and my feet again! And I mean for more than 5 minutes before all the swelling rushes back down there. Doesn't seem to matter how long I keep my feet up or have Tim rub the swelling down, the second I stand up it all goes right back. Every time I get a glimpse of my ankle bones it's reassuring to know that my feet did at one point look less puffy, my calves are really not that big around and maybe they will once again be recognizable as belonging to my body. I'm sure it's completely unrealistic to think that the swelling will instantly disappear once the baby is out, but I'm going to keep thinking it anyway!

2. To feel my fingers again! The top 2/3 of my fingers have been numb for so long, the numbness is starting to feel normal. I hate not being able to feel things and my hands feel so stiff most of the time! Especially how soft all the baby things are :( I've been sewing flannel wipes to use instead of disposable ones (to use with cloth diapers) and even though I know how soft they are I can't feel it!! Playing violin/viola is kind of ridiculous too! Not being able to feel where my fingers are going is such a weird sensation. It reminds me of playing a wedding several years ago in October...outside... at night and it was so cold I had no idea how my fingers were actually able to play. That's what it feels like now....one of the reasons I decided to stop teaching private lessons until after the baby comes.

3. Being able to bend over without feeling like I'm going to suffocate.

4. Being able to roll over in bed without waking up because it takes SOO much effort to go from one side to the other.

5. Not having to make 3+ trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I completely realize that I am a long way away from having a completely restful night's sleep but having to get up so often to go to the bathroom is very annoying to me.

6. Standing up easily without having to plan my source of leverage first! Getting off the couch, out of bed, out of the car!, etc.

7. Ready to get back to feeling like me! I know my body will never be the same but if I can at least feel like myself again...

8. Finally getting to see this little foot that seems to be trying to dig a hole in my side! Sometimes I feel like I should be able to grab it through my skin. I can't wait to see that little foot!

4 comments:

  1. that must be weird to have tingly fingers!! but go you for making flannel wipes! I've never thought of that; what a good idea! Your baby is going to have nice, healthy skin! =D Any day now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I vote girl! hehe. It won't let me sign in for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it took a few weeks after birth, but I did start feeling like myself again. And even though I was dealing with middle-of-the-night feedings, it made ALL the difference when I started to get back some energy. (Being able to breathe probably helped a lot!) ;-) Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Amanda, I didn't know you were going to cloth diaper! Good for you. I started mid-way with Kateri using gdiapers and am going full cloth with baby Santiago. It's a fun experience but I like it! And yes you will eventually feel like yourself again after the birth. Sometimes it takes a while, but it does happen!

    ReplyDelete